Saturday 26 June 2010

Onion cells and yeasts

I observed onion cells and yeasts.

We started with onion cells. Firstly, I got an onion from the kitchen and cut a thin piece out. Next I placed it on a slide, then dyed it. We finally made three preparats for my borther, my teacher and me. My brother's was best.

It looked amazing when we watched it. We magnified it by 10x60/0.85. We could see the diamond-shaped cells with a round nucleus, clear cell wall, some encloplasmic ricups etc. The nuclear was redder than the other parts of a cell.

We had a quick break and continued our experiments with yeasts.

The way we made our preparats was same as making the onion cells exept that we had to melt it and put the water on it.

We looked inside, but what a pity! We could only see small dots! Even by 600 times! It was a real shame, but we pictured it anyway.

I love the onion cells!

No comments:

Post a Comment